We restored and refurbished this Grade II listed townhouse after it had been gutted by fire and left derelict, to create a new members club venue for Soho House.
We reinstated every possible detail of the original 1732 building, from reintroducing its large rear courtyard, down to restoring a spoiled mural in the entrance hall. In addition we added a new mews building, to accommodate services away from the listed premises.
Across the five storeys the townhouse now provides living, drawing, library rooms and a screening room, housed in a newly excavated basement.
The mews building, which fronts onto the courtyard and the neighbouring street (see 5 Richmond Mews), is home to a new bar and rooftop terrace. The design simultaneously complements the period setting and demarcates its contemporary origin.
Photos: Richard Chivers